Thanksgiving is a celebration that can be guilt free! I was so ecstatic to create my own sweet potato recipe that is sugar and flour free, and allows me to enjoy the savory treat of sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are healthy and nutrient dense, yet typical recipes use sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and marshmallows. I’d almost given up on finding a simple, healthy way to enjoy them; I’m so glad I didn’t!
I’m thankful for Journey 2 Health for challenging me to enjoy sweet potatoes without sugar and to not be afraid to look for a healthy twist on my favorite foods.
Here’s a quick tip that saves prep time: bake three whole organic sweet potatoes for an hour at 400 degrees. No need to peel, cube, or boil in water. Once baked, it’s easy to scoop the soft potato from the skin and proceed with the recipe.
Simple, Savory Sweet Potatoes… sugar free and flour free
- 3 large organic sweet potatoes
- ½ c. coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 2 T. Kerrygold butter, melted
- 1 t. ground ginger
- 2 t. rosemary
- 1 t. oregano
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash pepper and sea salt
- 1 c. pecans (coarsely chopped or ground in mortar and pestle)
- 4 T. Kerrygold butter, melted
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. vanilla
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Bake sweet potatoes whole for one hour. Slice open and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Scoop out the potatoes from the skin. Place in a mixing bowl and add the coconut milk (you can use almond milk or half and half) and melted butter. Use a pastry cutter to mash the potatoes until smooth, not pureed.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until well mixed. Place in a buttered baking dish.
- Mix the topping ingredients together until pecans are coated and sprinkle evenly over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!